SweetWater Brewing Company (Atlanta, Georgia) has announced plans to release four new offerings in February: Grass Monkey, Dank Tank Old Man Johnson’s Farm, Hatchery Series Single Hop Mosaic IPA and 20th Anniversary Ale.
Since the brewery will commemorate its 20th Anniversary during the month of February, it is clear that the folks at SweetWater Brewing Company want to provide us all with several new offerings so that we may properly celebrate this occasion. We have quite a bit of information to cover, so let’s get at it:
Grass Monkey Hoppy Wheat Ale with Lemongrass
Arriving as SweetWater’s new Spring Seasonal, Grass Monkey is a hoppy Pale Wheat Ale that has been aggressively hopped with “a big stash of Lemondrop hops” to supply “a big citrus blast.” To complement the hops and step up this beer’s level of refreshment, the brewers then added lemongrass herbs. All of this is set upon a light malt base to allow “the piney, grassy, lemony notes [to] shine.” Grass Monkey officially releases on January 26 and will be available through April.
- Release – Seasonal, February through April 2017
- Style – American Pale Wheat Ale
- ABV – 5.4%
- IBUs – 35
- Hops – Lemondrop
- Malts – 2-Row & Wheat
- Availability – 12 oz. bottles, 12 oz. cans, 16 oz. cans & draft
Old Man Johnson’s Farm Imperial Stout with Raspberries
SweetWater brewers have fired up the Dank Tank once again and this time it holds Old Man Johnson’s Farm, an Imperial Stout with raspberries. To lay the foundation of this sizable Imperial Stout, a hefty malt bill is employed to impart “intense aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate.” The beer is then elevated to true Dank Tank status with the addition of fresh raspberries during fermentation to “complement the dark chocolate with a tasty sweetness.” Old Man Johnson’s Farm will also begin its release on January 26, but this limited release will only be available on draft.
- Release – Dank Tank/Limited, launches at brewery on January 26
- Style – American Imperial Stout
- ABV – 9.6%
- IBUs – 60
- Malts – 2-Row, Munich, Roasted Barley, Black Malt, Chocolate, Dark Chocolate & Caramel
- Hops – Columbus, Willamette & US Golding
- Yeast – London Ale
- Added Ingredients – Meeker Red Raspberries
- Availability – Draft only
Single Hop Mosaic IPA
The first official bottle release from The Hatchery at SweetWater Brewing Company will be Single Hop Mosaic IPA. The Hatchery is the brewery’s new pilot system where brewers will test out new recipes, ideas and brewing techniques. Most Hatchery beers will only be available on draft at the brewery, but SweetWater plans to release one bottle per seasonal variety pack release. Just as the name implies, this offering features the Mosaic hop’s “juicy orange, mango, citrus and passionfruit flavors.” A very simple grain bill provides just enough biscuity notes to properly balance out the finished beer. This limited release will be available in 12 oz. bottles found in SweetWater’s spring variety packs only (February – April).
- Release – Limited/Hatchery Series, February through April 2017
- Style – American India Pale Ale
- ABV – 6%
- Hops – Mosaic
- Availability – 12 oz. bottles found in SweetWater spring variety packs only
20th Anniversary Ale
Finally, SweetWater Brewing Company will wrap up February with the release of their 20th Anniversary Ale. This incredibly special release is an “extremely hop-forward” Imperial India Pale Ale that has been brewed with hop hash and a house Brettanomyces yeast strain. The completed beer boasts an aroma that “is fruity, herbal, tropical and citrusy, and the Brett gives a nice touch of funk and earthy phenolics.” 20th Anniversary Ale will be officially released in 750ml cork and cage bottles at SweetWater’s 20th Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, February 19. Tickets for this event are still available and you can purchase yours by clicking here.
- Release – Limited, to be released at SweetWater’s 20th Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, February 19
- Style – Imperial India Pale Ale with Brettanomyces
- ABV – 9%
- IBUs – 81
- Malts – Pilsner, Maris Otter, Wheat, Flaked Oats & Midnight Wheat
- Hops – Bravo, Mosaic & Citra; dry-hopped with Mosaic & Citra
- Hop Hash – Fresh Citra Lupulin Blend
- Yeast – Belgian Ardennes
- Availability – 750ml bottles
For just one month of new releases, this is certainly one hell of a lineup. Keep an eye out for these beers in February, and be sure to raise a glass of one (or many) of these brews to recognize 20 amazing years of brewing at SweetWater Brewing Company. Prost!