Established by “some of Louisville’s longest-serving brewing veterans”, Goodwood Brewing Co. is an independent regional craft brewery “dedicated to making beers that have been touched by wood; whether in reclaimed oak casks once used to house bourbon, red wine, tequila, rum and brandy or seasoned on oak, hemp, poplar or ash.” With styles ranging from “freshly nuanced stouts” and other ales to refreshing lagers, the brewery’s unique “shade-grown beers” are all brewed with limestone water – just like the bourbon Kentucky is famous for. Because of the brewery’s “ties to bourbon culture and southern tradition” and its portfolio’s dynamic range in flavors, Goodwood Brewing Co. has been warmly embraced by beer lovers as its distribution area has steadily grown across the South. Hoping that this trend continues, the folks at the brewery feel that now is the time to introduce themselves to the Sunshine State.
“We are extremely excited to launch the Florida with Republic National. Florida is a wonderful mix of local residents, transplants and vacationers and has a thriving craft beer scene. Our portfolio spectrum will appeal to all segments, ranging from session beach and boat beers to high gravity brews for the serious craft beer lover. Republic’s merger with Breakthru makes them an ideal partner as we are with Breakthru in a number of other states.”
– Ted Mitzlaff, CEO of Goodwood Brewing Co.
Goodwood Brewing Co. will launch distribution in Florida with the following eight offerings:
- Bourbon Barrel Stout – Goodwood Bourbon Barrel Stout is an homage to Kentucky’s proud distilling legacy – brewed with the same limestone water as its namesake whiskey and patiently seasoned in bourbon barrels. This silky American stout has notes of oak, dark roasted malts and, of course, bourbon. Roasted barley produces chocolate and coffee flavors with a lasting vanilla finish. Available in 12 oz. bottles. (8% ABV, 33 IBUs)
- Brandy Barrel Honey Ale – Goodwood uses casks from some brandy distilling friends to patiently age our Honey Ale – super freaking patiently, actually. Goodwood Brandy Barrel Honey Ale is brewed with locally sourced honey and aged several times longer than our other barreled beers. But you don’t have to wait another second. Go ahead. Skip the part about “notes of malt, mead and dried fruit,” and get to sippin’! Available in 12 oz. bottles and on draught. (8.7% ABV, 33 IBUs)
- Bourbon Barrel Ale – Goodwood Bourbon Barrel Ale is refined by its time in the cask, not defined by it. The process produces balanced, adjunct-free ale with delicious bourbon notes. This copper-toned beaut is medium-bodied and malt-forward with a hint of sweet caramel. It finishes strong and dry with notes of vanilla and bourbon-soaked oak. Available in 12 oz. bottles. (6% ABV, 33 IBUs)
- Louisville Lager – Goodwood Louisville Lager is the first and only beer brewed with 100% Kentucky-grown grains. And, in a tip of the cap to our Slugger-making neighbors downtown, white ash – common in baseball bats – is used to enhance brewing. This results in a light-bodied, perfectly balanced lager with a sweet finish delivered by those Kentucky grains. Available in 12 oz. cans. (4.2% ABV, 23 IBUs)
- Walnut Brown Ale – You’ll go totally walnuts over this oak-aged, walnut-seasoned brown ale. Made with a brewing style that dates back to 16th-century England and using a blend of six choice malts and two English hops, Goodwood Walnut Brown Ale features notes of caramel and chocolate with a finish that is – you guessed it – pleasingly nutty. Available in 12 oz. cans and on draught. (6% ABV, 31 IBUs)
- Hemp Gose – Slightly salty, nice and tart, with a dash of dank— this shrub-touched Gose is unlike any other you’ve had before! Our interpretation of this German-style sour beer is crisp, light and refreshing. The malt body compliments the tartness of the brew and the hemp adds a light herbal aroma and a slight funk on the finish! Available in 12 oz. cans. (5.12% ABV, 7 IBUs)
- Spruce Tip IPA – This spruce-tip infused IPA is packed with crisp hops and piney flavor throughout. The recipe includes one of the best base malts grown and malted in North America, Cargill’s Special Pale. Then it’s topped off with spruce tips from the Great Pacific Northwest, along with Zeus, Centennial, El Dorado, Comet, and Simcoe hops. Available in 12 oz. cans and on draught. (5.5% ABV, 61 IBUs)
- American Pale Ale – Goodwood’s American Pale Ale is aged on poplar and brewed with several American hop varieties. The 5.7 ABV brew features a hoppy, floral bouquet, that finishes perfectly with a pleasingly sweet, malty backbone. The packaging will honor fallen American Heroes. In addition to bearing the name of a fallen hero on their American Pale Ale cans, Goodwood Brewing will also host fundraisers and donate to their partnering foundations throughout the year. Available in 12 oz. cans. (5.7% ABV, 51 IBUs)
With Republic National Distributing Company handling all distribution responsibilities, Goodwood Brewing Co. will soon be available across the state of the Florida. Both companies are in the process of planning a series of launch events at local Florida establishments, and we will update you with that information just as soon as it becomes available. Stay tuned. Prost!