The Glenrothes Distillery (Rothes, Scotland) has officially announced the release of the Soleo Collection, a lineup of five entirely new Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whiskies matured in sherry-seasoned oak casks.
Established to be a change in direction for The Glenrothes that will steadily steer the distillery away from its previously released Vintage and Reserve offerings, the Soleo Collection is an array of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies developed to celebrate “the rich and colorful origins of the whisky-making journey and its most defining part, the sherry seasoning of the oak casks.” The term “Soleo” refers to the process of sun-drying the grapes that will eventually make the sherry that will then go on to season the distillery’s oak casks. This process gives the grapes their “own distinctive color palette”, and the distillers at The Glenrothes have used those colors as their canvas to showcase the “sherry and the role it plays in shaping [their] single-malt.”
“The Glenrothes is a true craft single-malt. Taking things back to a vital yet simple natural process, this new collection allows us to tell a vital part of the story that hasn’t before been highlighted in this way. We believe in sharing the inspiring detail in how and why we create the whiskies we do. The Soleo Collection does exactly that; making these fantastic new whiskies is testament to our commitment to craftsmanship and quality.”
– Gordon Motion, Master Whisky Maker
The Soleo Collection is comprised of the following five new single-malts:
- 10 YEARS OLD (40% ABV): A delicate and more subtle style of single malt, with notes of vanilla, shortbread and citrus peel. RRP $45 USD
- 12 YEARS OLD (40% ABV): The epitome of the distillery style, with notes of vanilla, melon and cinnamon. RRP $55 USD
- WHISKY MAKER’S CUT (48.8% ABV): Inspired and shaped by the hand of master whisky maker Gordon Motion, using only first-fill sherry-seasoned casks and bottled at his preferred strength. Vanilla, orange peel and nutmeg character. RRP $75 USD
- 18 YEARS OLD (43% ABV): A complex and well-rounded expression with a vanilla, pear and fresh-ginger character. RRP $130 USD
- 25 YEARS OLD (43% ABV): Winner of the Chairman’s Trophy Award for Best Speyside Single Malt at the 2018 Ultimate Spirits Competition. Rich and intense, this expression delivers heady woody notes with a character defined by salted caramel, mango and coriander seeds. RRP $500 USD
All offerings in the Soleo Collection are hitting shelves now and whisky-lovers can expect to find them at fine spirits retailers located throughout the U.S. Prost!