Established with the mission “to brew exceptionally high-quality beer made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients that vary with the seasons,” Second Self Beer Company launched in Atlanta during the fall of 2014. Since that date, the brewery has grown steadily, earned a solid reputation and created a loyal following by simply staying true to their five core values: Local, Flavor, Community, Sustainable and People. Their sustained success has finally made it possible for the brewery to expand their reach outside of the state of Georgia, and Second Self Beer Company has chosen the neighboring craft beer community of Alabama as their first step toward distribution expansion.
When the brewery launches in Alabama on December 1, Second Self Beer Company will offer the following five offerings (all pictured above):
- Citrus IPA: a year-round IPA that packs a citrus punch yet isn’t overly bitter. It’s made with citrusy hops: Columbus, Amarillo, Citra & just a touch of lemon, orange & grapefruit peel to enhance the citrus aroma without any bitterness. The beer is then dry-hopped with more Amarillo & Citra hops for the added hoppy, citrus punch. The aroma is sweet, yet the taste is dry with a robust IPA finish. Suggested parings: pan-roasted trout, mussels, artichokes, potato soup & gruyere cheese. ABV – 6.2% IBUs – 50
- Red Hop Rye: a Red IPA with an abundance of hoppy citrus aromas from dry-hopping. Spicy rye mixed with hops & balanced by a malty backbone from American caramel & honey malts. Suggested pairings: BBQ, steak, burgers, brats, cheddar cheese & spicy foods. ABV – 7.3% IBUs – 69
- Thai Wheat: a year-round American Wheat. This spicy beer is as exotic as the country that inspired it, with fresh lemongrass & ginger for a refreshing aroma & taste. Suggested pairings: fish, chicken, pork loin, grilled vegetables, sushi & Asian cuisine. ABV – 5.1% IBUs – 18
- Maverick & Gose: a fresh take on a traditional Gose with the addition of coriander. Dry-hopped with fruity Wakatu hops to balance out a slightly tart & salty nature. Suggested pairings: grilled grouper, oysters, guacamole, pineapple & beach volleyball. ABV – 4.4% IBUs – 8
- Molé Porter: a chocolate porter with extra spices reminiscent of Second Self Co-founder Jason Santamaria’s family recipe for Oaxacan sauce. This robust porter is packed with flavor to warm you up this winter. Suggested pairings: pork or beef tacos, stews & chilis, gruyere cheese & chocolate desserts. ABV – 6.5% IBUs – 27
The five beers listed above will be available in 12 oz. cans and on draft at “bars, restaurants, and shops throughout Birmingham, Montgomery, Auburn and surrounding counties.” All distribution responsibilities will be handled by Bessemer’s Pinnacle Imports. Details concerning official launch parties should emerge soon, and I’ll update you here once I have that information. Until then, just swing by your favorite, local craft beer establishment on Thursday to sample these brews and give Second Self Beer Company a proper welcome to the Alabama beer scene. Prost!