On Friday, March 10 at 3 p.m., The Ale and The Witch (111 2nd Ave NE Saint Petersburg, Florida) will welcome Sun King Brewery (Indianapolis, Indiana) to Tampa Bay Beer Week by hosting a very special Tap Takeover event.
What began as a pipe dream shared between two men – Dave Colt and Clay Robinson – while spending “long hours brewing, scrubbing, and polishing . . . brewery equipment” at a previous brewing job, Sun King Brewery finally became a reality in 2009 when Colt and Robinson went all in and sold their first keg. After just a few short years since that first sale, Sun King has established a strong reputation after earning several medals at the Indiana Brewers Cup, Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup, and the brewery is now recognized as the second-largest beer brewer in the state of Indiana.
Not normally available in the state of Florida, Sun King Brewery happens to be in town visiting for Tampa Bay Beer Week (TBBW), and The Ale and The Witch is more than happy to host this respected brewery for a rare Tap Takeover on March 10. The following seven Sun King offerings will be pouring on draft during this event:
Featured Draft Beers from Sun King Brewery
- Cherry Busey – A Flanders-style Oud Bruin Ale produced using a complex cocktail of wild yeasts and aged in a bevy of barrels. A multitude of Montmorency cherries were lovingly liberated to give the beer its tart cherry tang. Cherry Busey was the winner of the Bronze Medal at the 2015 Great American Beer Festival® in the Belgian-Style Fruit Beer Category. ABV – 6.9% IBUs – 23
- Old Fashioned Elixir – This beer starts with a base of Velvet Fog Belgian Quad, a King Reserve Series offering that took the 2012 gold medal at the World Beer Cup, that is then aged in rye barrels with Balaton Cherries & orange peel for that classic cocktail creation. ABV – 11.6%
- Osiris Pale Ale – An assertive West Coast-Style Pale with a distinct citrus hop punch. ABV – 5.6% IBUs – 50
- Ring of Dingle – A rich and roasty Irish-Style Dry Stout with a clean, dry finish. The beer is named after a scenic road network in Ireland that starts and ends in the city of Dingle. Ring of Dingle was the winner of the Silver Medal in the Classic Irish-Dry Stout Category at the 2012 World Beer Cup, and the winner of the Gold Medal in the Irish-Style Dry Stout category at the 2011 Great American Beer Festival. ABV – 4.6% IBUs – 34
- Stupid Sexy Flanders – A traditional Belgian-Style Flanders Oud Bruin, Stupid Sex Flanders is fermented with wild yeasts, Lactobacillus and Brettanomyces, which impart tart cherry flavors to balance the beer’s malt sweetness. ABV – 6.5% IBUs – 23
- Sunlight Cream Ale – Celebrates American brewing tradition by balancing smooth malt complexity with a crisp, clean finish. Sunlight was the winner of the Gold Medal in the Golden or Blonde Ale category at the 2015 Great American Beer Festival®, and the Silver Medal at the 2010 World Beer Cup in the Golden or Blonde Ale category. ABV – 5.3% IBUs – 20
- Whip Fight – A bourbon barrel aged Wee Heavy in which rich toffee flavor takes a Burt Lancaster-sized twist with the addition of pecan and semi-sweet chocolate. ABV – 10.6% IBUs – 30
The beers above will begin pouring when The Ale and The Witch opens at 3 p.m. on March 10, and they will be available until the kegs run dry or the bar closes. Since this is a pay as you go event, no tickets are needed to enjoy these delicious brews. We must remind you that Sun King Brewery and their beers are not normally available in Florida, so these beers will not last long. With that in mind, go ahead and make plans now to visit The Ale and The Witch on Friday to get in on what is sure to be one hell of a TBBW Tap Takeover with Sun King Brewery. Prost!