Founded in Portland, Maine in 2009 by David and Daniel Kleban, Maine Beer Company started its journey with “a one-barrel brewhouse and the mission of brewing one beer and brewing it well.” Building off the success of that beer (now known as Peeper Pale Ale, a Core offering), the crew at Maine Beer Company pushed forward with what they call the “Do what’s right” philosophy, a commitment that is centered around “donating 1% of their gross annual sales to environmental nonprofits.” Armed with this thoughtful approach and a growing portfolio of tasty brews, Maine Beer Company quickly gained popularity, expanded to a 15bbl brewhouse, “[outgrew] its original space and moved to a new facility in Freeport in 2013. Now in 2018, they have reached the next phase of their growth, transitioning to a 60bbl brewhouse in an expanded production facility, with a new tasting room slated for 2019.” This growth has also allowed the brewery to extend its distribution reach further south so that it can now share its offerings with the avid beer lovers in Florida.
Maine Beer Company will launch distribution in Florida with the following five Core offerings (the descriptions below were provided by the brewery):
- Peeper| Pale Ale | 5.5% ABV – Maine Beer Company’s flagship beer, notes of light citrus, raspberries, blackberries, subtle pine, light bready
- Lunch| India Pale Ale | 7.0% ABV – Maine Beer Company’s East Coast take on a classic West Coast IPA. Lunch is named after a whale that has been spotted off the coast of Maine by Allied Whale (nonprofit partner) since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin, hence the name Lunch. Notes of tropical fruit, citrus fruit, pine, subtle malt sweetness.
- MO| Pale Ale | 6.0% ABV – Named after Daniel’s twins, MO, a staff favorite, has notes of zesty citrus, passion fruit, pine, and a subtle malt sweetness.
- a tiny beautiful something| Pale Ale | 5.5% ABV – Maine Beer Company’s only single hopped beer showcases El Dorado hops. Notes of candied orange, citrus zest, subtle anise.
- Another One | India Pale Ale | 7.0% ABV – While getting through the first expansion in 2013, sometimes we just needed Another One to keep the creative juices flowing. This IPA has notes of grapefruit, tangerine, and a resinous, clean malt palate.
The beers listed above are hitting the Florida market now in 16.9 oz. (500ml) bottles and on draft. You can expect to find these Maine Beer Company offerings at select craft beer establishments located in all areas of Florida normally serviced by Cavalier Distributing. Prost!