Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, New York) has officially announced that it will expand on its Sour Series in April with the release of three Sour Ales in cans – Apripêche, Solera and Rosetta.
In a move that will act as the latest step in the “exciting evolution” of the brewery’s wildly popular and highly respected lineup of Sour Ales, Brewery Ommegang has decided to give the following “trio of eminently drinkable beers” an upgrade by making them more conveniently accessible in 12 oz. cans (descriptions and quotes sourced directly from the brewery’s press release):
- Apripêche – The newcomer, Apripêche, combines a quaffable Belgian-style witbier with peaches, apricots, and just the right amount of a tart Flemish golden ale. The delicious result is an artful interplay of sweet nectar, hazy refreshment, and wine-like acidity.
“We’ve experimented with stone fruit sours for a long time,” says our brewmaster Phil Leinhart. “Apripêche blends the juicy sweetness of peaches and the delicate acidity of apricots, resulting in a beer that pairs perfectly with a variety of lighter, warm weather dishes.”
- Solera – Formerly known as Pale Sour, a tart golden ale crafted by Liefmans, Ommegang’s sister blendery in Belgium. A mixed-culture fermentation in open copper vats is followed by months of aging. Similar in approach to the classic “solera method” of blending liquids of varying ages, master blenders regularly mix new batches with older ones to achieve the perfect balance of sweet and sour.
“Our most popular sour is perfect for sipping in the sun, so when we resolved to release it in cans, we decided that Solera was a better name,” says Leinhart. “This beer is truly sunshine in a glass.”
- Rosetta – Ommegang’s year-round kriek ale, moves from bottles to cans to complete the set. A charming combination of Oud Bruin, a tart Flemish brown ale, and Cuvée Brut, a cheerful cherry beer, Rosetta offers elegance, depth, complexity and an intriguing interplay of tartness and sweetness.
Apripêche, Solera and Rosetta will all be available Year-Round in 4-packs of 12 oz. cans beginning in April 2020 (draft availability will begin “when on-premise establishments reopen”). Locations for the first shipments of these three offerings are listed below. Prost!
- Apripêche: CA, CO, NC, NY, PA, WA, & Puerto Rico
- Rosetta: AZ, CA, CO, DE, IL, MD, MN, MO, ND, NH. NJ. NM, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA, & Washington, DC
- Solera: AZ, CA, CO, IL, MI, MN, ND, NH, NH, NM, NY, OR, WA, & Puerto Rico