Stone Brewing (Escondido, California) has officially launched Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout as its newest Special Release offering.
Moving in as the successor to the fan-favorite Stone Imperial Russian Stout that was developed in 2000 and discontinued in 2016, Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout has arrived with an upgraded recipe that boasts “the careful addition of Belma hops and flaked oats.” Although the beer retains the original recipe’s old-world nature by pouring “jet-black with a fluffy chocolate head and [tasting] of deeply dark fruit flavors with rich chocolate and coffee overtones”, the added flaked oats enhance the beer’s “long-lasting smooth and silky finish” while the new-world Belma hops “[intensify] its berry flavors and aroma while subtly introducing a juicy melon undertone.” In an impressive show of force, Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout flexes its power with a 10.6% ABV and 65 IBUs.
“Our most devout fans don’t surrender quietly when we discontinue beers or skip Stone Special Release favorites,” said Jeremy Moynier, Stone Brewing senior manager of brewing & innovation, and nearly 14-year Stone veteran. “We always tell them they may see it again and in this case, the one year hiatus was well worth the wait. The additional hops and flaked oats add a new layer of complexity and mouthfeel that truly enhance an already remarkable beer.”
Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout is available now and has plans to remain on shelves and taps into the month of July 2018. You can expect to find this Special Release available in 22 oz. bottles, 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft at craft beer-focused establishments located in Alabama, Florida, California, Virginia and throughout the rest of Stone Brewing’s nationwide distribution area. Prost!
Vital Information for Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing
Release – Special Release, mid-March through early July 2018
Style – Russian Imperial Stout
ABV – 10.6%
IBUs – 65
Featured Hops – Magnum & Belma
Fun Fact – On the style’s history at Stone Brewing: “When the densely dark Stone Imperial Russian Stout was still in its infancy, the style wasn’t recognized by the US Government’s agency regulating brewery labels. They thought it implied that the beer was brewed in Russia rather than being an historic English style that had originally been brewed for the Russian court. We had three options:
1. Name the beer simply Stone Imperial Stout
2. Name the beer Stone Imperial Russian-Style Stout
3. Fight back
The team embarked on a three-year naming battle before finally earning the style’s full recognition for Stone and all fellow US brewers. Stone Imperial Russian Stout was born as obstinate as it returns.”
Availability – 22 oz. bottles, 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles & draft
Beer Finder – https://find.stonebrewing.com/#ready
Stone Brewing (Escondido, California) recently unveiled its 2018 Beer Release Calendar and it boasts a serious amount of hop goodness from its newly-established Trinity of Hoppiness, a new Seasonal IPA series, and a few robust Stouts thrown in for good measure.
Just as we always do when it comes to beer calendars around here, we have posted Stone Brewing’s full 2018 Beer Release Calendar below for you to take in at your own leisure. That said, there is a diagram and a handful of new releases that we should probably provide some clarity on before turning you loose. We do intend to be brief, so let’s knock it out:
- Devoted to innovation and their well-known obsession with hops, the folks at Stone Brewing are rolling out the Trinity of Hoppiness in 2018 (diagram available below). This handy-dandy piece of reference material breaks down the brewery’s full line of hop-laden Year-Round releases and its occasionally released Stone Enjoy By IPA into the following three categories: Tropical & Juicy, Dank & Piney, and Citrusy & Floral. The Trinity of Hoppiness basically acts as your road map to whatever hop experience you may be seeking on any given day.
- Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA will debut in March as the brewery’s newest Year-Round release. Perched at the peak of “Tropical & Juicy” on the Trinity of Hoppiness, Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA “masters the fruity appeal . . . of fruit-dominated beers . . . with absolutely no fruit additions. This juicy delight is brewed with heroic hop know-how.” Once released, this offering will be available in 22 oz. bottles & on draft.
- 2018 will also see the introduction of the new Stone Hop Worship IPA Seasonal Series, “three distinctive beers extolling the divine qualities of hops [to] consecrate Stone’s devotion to freshness.” The series will include Stone Exalted IPA (February – June), Stone Righteous IPA (June – October), and Stone Sanctimonious IPA (October – December). These beers will be available in 6-packs of 12 oz. cans & on draft.
- Need more hops? Well, Stone Brewing has you covered because they will also be releasing three Double IPA Special Releases in 2018: Stone Loral & Dr. Rudi’s Inevitable Adventure Double IPA (February – June), Stone I’m Peach Double IPA (May – August), and Stone 22nd Anniversary Double IPA (August – November).
- Fear not, malt lovers . . . there will also be a smattering of Special Release Stouts alternating between those DIPAs. Stone Totalitarian Imperial Russian Stout, a new Special Release featuring an updated hop bill “built on the backbone of the classic Stone Imperial Russian Stout recipe”, will be available from March through July. That offering will be followed by Stone w00tstout (July – October) and Stone Xocoveza Mocha Stout (October – December).
“We have a Brewing Innovation Team that has labored the last year in pursuit of the exceptional…and delivered it, in sanguine, liquid form,” said Dominic Engels, Stone Brewing CEO. “These incredible new beers, alongside a series of fan favorites allow us to unveil uniquely Stone beers with every release in 2018. True to our roots, the IPAs we’re releasing this year are clearly the work of an evangelical hop worshiping crew. Amen.”
Alright . . . our job should be done here, but there is still plenty to discover on the calendar below. Check it out and get ready for a ridiculously hoppy year with Stone Brewing in 2018. Prost!