Dogfish Head Craft Brewery (Milton, Delaware) released its 2018 Beer Calendar today, and with that comes the exciting news that the brewery’s next band collaboration will be Dragons & YumYums with The Flaming Lips.
Alright, we all know the drill by now. Dogfish Head’s full 2018 Beer Calendar is posted below for you to go over at your leisure, but you best believe that we are going to first give you some details on that new collaboration with The Flaming Lips and a few other releases headed your way next year. Let’s get to it:
- To continue “their decades-long tradition of banding together with the uniquely epic and imaginative”, Dogfish Head has teamed up with The Flaming Lips to bring you Dragons & YumYums in Spring 2018. This “intensely tropical yet subtlety bitter” Pale Ale is “brewed with a combination of dragonfruit, yumberry, passionfruit, pear juice and black carrot juice providing an explosion of fruit in every sip.” Clocking at 6.5% ABV, Dragons & YumYums will be available in 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft from April to August.
“The Flaming Lips are one of the most innovative and collaborative bands of all time and Dogfish shares a similarly playful and adventurous point of view,” says Sam Calagione, CEO and founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. “Their art is a full-on otherworldly sensory experience and we strive to create that same intense sensational experience for craft beer drinkers in the development of our liquid art.” Good tunes and great beer are at the heart of Dogfish as the brewery composed a musically inspired series of brews with artists like Miles Davis, Deltron 3030, The Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and Guided by Voices. “Our brewery has been obsessed with music since the day we opened,” says Calagione. “And we have enjoyed every opportunity to weave together the art of brewing with our love of music, as often and meaningfully as we can.”
- Speaking of musically-inspired brews, Wood-Aged Bitches Brew will return in February with Year-Round availability in 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft. “Brewed as an homage to Miles Davis’ 1970 landmark jazz-rock fusion record”, Wood-Aged Bitches Brew is a “bold, honey-enhanced, imperial stout” that will be boasting “a new, wood-centric spin as this version is aged and blended in giant oak and Palo Santo wood tanks resulting in a vanilla, chocolatey-licorice wood aroma with a sweet, roasty, coffee flavor finish.”
- Lupu Luau IPA and Namaste White will both be available in cans as Year-Round offerings in 2018. They will join Wood-Aged Bitches Brew, 60 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA, SeaQuench Ale, Flesh & Blood IPA, Indian Brown, Palo Santo Marron, Burton Baton and Midas Touch to round off the full Year-Round lineup.
- Mixed Media – “a rustic Saison and Farmhouse blend with a crisp and quenching finish” – will arrive in May 2018 as a new Limited Release offering. Created to be “the ultimate beer-wine hybrid”, Mixed Media is “brewed with 51% of the fermentables coming from pils malt, malted wheat and flaked oats, and 49% coming from late harvest Viognier grape must harvested for Dogfish by friends at Alexandria Nicole Cellars in Washington.” Mixed Media will have availability in 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft (May to September).
- Fruit-Full Fort will also debut in 2018 as a new Limited Release. Brewed with Pils malt, Munich malt and Malted Wheat, this special offering is then fermented “with a big ol’ bundle of fresh berry juices including boysenberry, blackberry, raspberry and elderberry.” This results in an “ageable” Belgian-style Ale that “leaves the taste buds warm with jammy dark fruit notes and deeply complex flavors.” Fruit-Full Fort will have availability in 4-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft from July to September.
- Dogfish Head will also celebrate its Off-Centered Art Series in 2018. For this series, the brewery has “partnered with highly acclaimed artist, Marq Spusta, to create custom pieces of art for beers that brings their unique stories to life through visuals.” Art Series Beers include Romantic Chemistry (February – May), Dragons & YumYums (April – August), Punkin Ale (August – November) and Liquid Truth Serum (November – February). All beers in this series will have availability in 6-packs of 12 oz. bottles and on draft.
That should cover just about everything we wanted to go over, but there are still plenty of amazing beers left to discover on the calendar below. Give it a good look and get ready for another ridiculously good year of craft beer from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. Prost!