Founders Brewing Co. (Grand Rapids, Michigan) has announced that the 2018 release of KBS will officially begin with KBS Week events held in Grand Rapids and Detroit from March 5 – 10. National distribution of KBS will follow on March 30.
Known as one of the most sought-after barrel-aged craft beers in the country, KBS is an 11.8% ABV Imperial Stout “brewed with massive amounts of coffee and chocolate before aging in oak bourbon barrels in caves beneath Grand Rapids and at an offsite barrel-aging facility.” Always released in limited supply as a part of Founders Brewing Co.’s Barrel-Aged Series, the first glasses of 2018 KBS will be poured in Grand Rapids and Detroit, Michigan during KBS Week 2018.
“When we started brewing KBS about 16 years ago, very few other breweries were doing anything like it,” said Co-Founder and President, Dave Engbers. “The first few packaged runs were difficult to get off of our hands as there wasn’t much interest in a bourbon barrel-aged coffee-chocolate imperial stout, which seems pretty crazy these days. It has since become a phenomenon and we are happy to celebrate its annual release with the people of Grand Rapids and now, for the first time ever, our loyal fans in Detroit. Here’s to continuing beloved traditions and starting new ones!”
- Monday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m. – Peppino’s South
- Monday, March 5 at 7 p.m. – The Last Chance Tavern and Grill
- Monday, March 5 at 8:30 p.m. – HopCat GR
- Tuesday, March 6 at 5:30 p.m. – Vitales of Ada
- Tuesday, March 6 at 7 p.m. – Rezervoir Lounge
- Tuesday, March 6 at 8:30 p.m. – Cottage Bar
- Wednesday, March 7 at 7 p.m. – The Holiday Bar
- Wednesday, March 7 at 8:30 p.m. – Peppino’s Downtown
- Thursday, March 8 at 7 p.m. – The Score
- Thursday, March 8 at 8:30 p.m. – The B.O.B.
- Saturday, March 10 – Founders Brewing Co. – Grand Rapids Taproom (all day, draft only)
- Monday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m. – HopCat Ann Arbor
- Monday, March 5 at 7 p.m. – Dan’s Downtown Tavern
- Tuesday, March 6 at 5:30 p.m. – Clubhouse BFD
- Tuesday, March 6 at 7 p.m. – Rochester Tap Room
- Wednesday, March 7 at 5:30 p.m. – Slows Bar BBQ
- Wednesday, March 7 at 7 p.m. – Firebird Tavern
- Thursday, March 8 at 5:30 p.m. – World of Beer – Canton
- Thursday, March 8 at 7 p.m. – Hermann’s Olde Town Grille
- Friday, March 9 at 5:30 p.m. – HopCat Royal Oak
- Friday, March 9 at 7 p.m. – Lockhart’s BBQ Royal Oak
- Saturday, March 10 – Founders Brewing Co. – Detroit Taproom (all day, draft only)
KBS bottles will be first released through the following taproom pre-order system: “Bottles of KBS available for pickup in the [Founders Brewing Co.] Grand Rapids and Detroit taprooms will be released using a pre-ticketed reservation process via Ticketfly. Bottles can be reserved beginning on Friday, February 2, at 11 a.m. EST, and will be available for pickup March 6-11 from both taprooms.” **We will update this post with the Ticketfly links for Grand Rapids and Detroit reservations once they go live.**
Distribution of KBS will follow the taproom pre-order and begin with the state of Michigan on March 12. The remainder of Founders Brewing Co.’s 46 state distribution will see KBS on March 30. Once fully released, you can look for KBS to be available in 4-packs of 12 oz. bottles, 750ml bottles and on draft at select craft beer establishments located in Alabama, Florida and throughout the rest of Founders Brewing Co.’s distribution footprint. Like always, you should expect supplies to be limited and the possibility that retailers will set per person limits. With that said, we wish you nothing but good luck and happy hunting this KBS season. Prost!
Vital Information for KBS from Founders Brewing Co.
Release – Limited/Barrel-Aged Series: tappings begin March 5 – 10 at KBS Week 2018 events in Grand Rapids and Detroit; Michigan distribution starts March 12; and national distribution follows on March 30
Style – Imperial Stout
ABV – 11.8%
Added Ingredients – Coffee & chocolate
Treatment – Cave-aged in oak bourbon barrels for an entire year
Availability – 4-packs of 12 oz. bottles, 750ml bottles & draft
Beer Finder – https://foundersbrewing.com/beer/find-our-beer/