Established as a brewpub in Bel Air, Maryland in 1996, DuClaw Brewing Co. hit the scene wanting to be “known for its cleverly crafted beers, depth of flavor and irreverent personality.” Those three attributes have proven to be quite the formula for success as the brewery has since gone on to earn “more than 60 awards” and establish a portfolio boasting “more than 30 distinguished microbrews.” The brewery’s popularity absolutely exploded on a national level with the release of Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter in 2011. Thanks to stellar reviews spread by the brewery’s fans and a Bronze Medal finish at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival (Chocolate Beer Category), Sweet Baby Jesus has acted as a catalyst for the brewery to steadily expand distribution to get their innovative, unique offerings into the hands of more and more craft beer fans. With the addition of Alabama and Georgia, DuClaw Brewing Co.’s U.S. distribution now amounts to 19 states across the Northeast and Southeast.
“Alabama and The Peach State are two that have been knocking on our door for awhile, and it got to a point where we knew it was time,” said DuClaw Founder and President Dave Benfield. “The response has been unreal. It’s been really fun to recognize this demand, finally bring DuClaw into these markets, and then hear such positive feedback. This is why I am in the business!”
DuClaw will launch distribution in Alabama and Georgia with Sweet Baby Jesus and “a full lineup of clever and well-crafted . . . craft beers” that will include Sour Me Peach Sherbet, Dirty Little Freak, The PastryArchy Pumpkin Spice, and Rule of Three Double IPA. The full descriptions for these beers are as follows:
- Sweet Baby Jesus | Year-Round – First brewed in 2011, this GABF bronze medal winning Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body, and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee, and peanut butter, balanced by a subtle hop character and a moderate 6.2% ABV. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name! ABV – 6.2% IBUs – 33
- Sour Me Peach Sherbet | Limited Release – Sour Me Peach Sherbet mixes the inherent mouth puckering flavors of the brew with big peach notes & a creamy fuller body for a perfect blend of tart and sweet. ABV – 5.5% IBUs – 10
- Dirty Little Freak | Year-Round- Dirty Little Freak Coconut Caramel Chocolate Brown Ale, first brewed in 2014, takes the traditional American Brown Ale and gives it a sensual new twist – Coconut! This medium-bodied, 5.8% ABV brown ale is a feast for the senses from its dominant blend of warm, roasted malt, coconut, caramel, and chocolate flavors barely restrained by a gentle hop bite, to its tantalizingly satisfying finish. ABV – 5.8% IBUs – 30
- The PastryArchy Pumpkin Spice | Limited Release – A dark, decadent, dessert stout with additions of pumpkin & seasonal spices for a rich and savory experience. ABV – 8.5% IBUs – 31
- The Rule of 3 Double IPA | Limited Release – As our third 16oz DIPA can release, we were compelled to obey the ‘Rule Of Three’ by triple dry hopping with three varieties of hops: Centennial hops, Citra Lupulin Powder, and Simcoe Lupulin Powder. The trio results in a golden balance between citrus & passion fruit, earthiness & pine, and berry & melon. Would order multiple pints, probably like 3. ABV – 8.8% IBUs – 34.8
The beers listed above are rolling out now in all areas regularly serviced by International Wines & Craft Beer in Alabama and AB Beverage in Georgia. Look for all these beers to be available on draft and in their respective packaging format. Prost!