In response to the current coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, Big Storm Brewing Co. (Clearwater, Florida) has officially filed the required federal application to begin manufacturing ethanol in hopes that it will be able to begin making more than 100-gallons of commercially packaged hand sanitizer each day.
As the federal government is currently “working diligently to expedite applications” like the one Big Storm awaits approval on, the brewery has proactively “begun the compounding of a liquid-based hand sanitizer spray following World Health Organization standards.” Once they get the go ahead to proceed, Big Storm plans to begin “mass production of hand sanitizer to supply government agencies, hospitals, first responders and others.” Government agencies, hospitals, medical offices and others interested in hand sanitizer can contact Big Storm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Our goal is to begin mass production of hand sanitizer to supply government agencies, hospitals, first responders and others,” said Big Storm co-owner L.J. Govoni. “This is a win-win, it allows us to retain employees while manufacturing a critical resource during this incredibly difficult time.”
Big Storm Brewing Co.’s plans to begin production of hand sanitizer is an effort to do their part in helping meet the demand for this vital product during this escalating coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Prost!
Big Storm Brewing Co. (Clearwater, Florida) has officially announced that it will recognize Valentine’s Day with a Limited Bottle Release featuring Bourbon Vanilla Lie To Me Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout on Saturday, February 8.
Returning as a barrel-aged variant in 2020 to make your Valentine’s Day extra special, this year’s batch of Lie To Me is an Imperial Stout layered with notes of dark chocolate and cherry and then aged in bourbon vanilla barrels. This added step produces an experience that “boasts smooth and decadent dark chocolate cherry and subtle vanilla notes with hints of oak and bourbon.” Coming in at a warming 9.8% ABV, the full-bodied Bourbon Vanilla Lie To Me is best enjoyed when shared “with someone you love – or someone who just really loves beer.”
Bourbon Vanilla Lie To Me will officially release at 11 a.m. on February 8 at Big Storm’s Pasco, Pinellas and Cape Coral locations. This Limited Release offering will be available as long as supplies last in 750ml bottles and on draft during this release. Big Storm will also have a limited amount of vintage bottles of 2018 and 2019 Lie To Me available for purchase during this event (quantities are limited). Bourbon Vanilla Lie To Me is a brewery-only release and is not expected to see distribution. Prost!
Vital Information for Bourbon Vanilla Lie To Me from Big Storm Brewing Co.
Release – Limited; February 8, 2020
Style – Imperial Stout
ABV – 9.8%
Featured Ingredients – Dark chocolate & cherry
Treatment – Aged in bourbon vanilla barrels
Availability – 750ml bottles & draft
Distribution – None. Brewery only
Big Storm Brewing Co. (Clearwater, Florida) has officially announced that it will hold a Limited Bottle Release for Huracán Rum Maple Barrel-aged Imperial Stout at all three of the brewery’s taprooms on Saturday, December 21.
Here to provide Big Storm fans with a little something special for the holidays, Huracán Rum Maple Barrel-aged Imperial Stout is 2019 Huracán Imperial Stout that has aged for five months in Jamaican rum barrels that also “aged maple syrup in New England before arriving at the brewery.” These incredibly special, “well-traveled” barrels enhance the original beer’s “complex body of dark chocolate, espresso and dark pit fruit by melding with the sweeter maple and tropical rum.” Clocking in at 11% ABV, Huracán Rum Maple Barrel-aged Imperial Stout comes together to be “an enjoyable after-dinner drink reminiscent of a Florida winter.”
Huracán Rum Maple Barrel-aged Imperial Stout will officially release at 9 a.m. on December 21 at Big Storm’s Pasco, Pinellas and Cape Coral locations. This Limited Release offering will be available in 750ml bottles and on draft during this release. Huracán Rum Maple Barrel-aged Imperial Stout is a brewery-only release and is not expected to see distribution. Prost!
Vital Information for Huracán Rum Maple Barrel-aged Imperial Stout from Big Storm Brewing Co.
Release – Limited; December 21, 2019
Style – Imperial Stout
ABV – 11%
Treatment – Aged for five months in Jamaican rum barrels that previously aged maple syrup
Suggested Food Pairings – “Ginger Snaps | Beef Wellington | Aged Parmigiano-Reggiano”
Availability – 750ml bottles & draft
Distribution – None. Brewery only
Big Storm Brewing Co. (Clearwater, Florida) has officially announced that it will expand distribution into the states of New Jersey and North Carolina this month.
After announcing last month that it was extending its reach to Ohio, Big Storm Brewing Co. is now entering September with twice as much distribution news. The brewery has officially signed with Shore Point Distributing Company, Inc in New Jersey and Carolina Eagle Distributing in North Carolina to bring its lineup of Florida-inspired brews to those states.
Big Storm will enter the New Jersey and North Carolina markets with the following offerings (descriptions sourced directly from the brewery’s website):
- Wavemaker Amber Ale – Big Storm’s very first brew was this amber ale. It presents a wave of flavor with two row Canadian barley coupled with Munich and chocolate malts. Wavemaker® Amber Ale is malt centric and highly drinkable year-round with minimal hop bitterness. ABV – 4.9% IBUs – 28
- Tropic Pressure Florida Ale – A highly drinkable Florida ale steeped with hibiscus flowers for just the right amount of natural sweetness and a hint of cinnamon. Brewed with pale wheat and honey malt, Tropic Pressure pours the color of skin that has been kissed by the warm Florida sunshine. ABV – 4.4% IBUs – 17
- BroMosa Tangerine IPA – We brewed the ultimate beverage for the bro (or sis) that isn’t into sweet bubbles served in pretentious, highfalutin glassware. BroMosa is a dry-hopped juicy IPA with a name that makes it socially acceptable to drink in the morning or any time of day. Expect a strong punch of tangerine flavor followed by a dry and hoppy finish that even the self-proclaimed “IPA-hater” enjoys. ABV – 7%
- Palm Bender Gulf Coast IPA – This Gulf Coast IPA pours a beautiful golden orange and is brewed using 100% barley. The flavor is dominated by Cascade hops with an assertive up front hop presence and floral, pine, and citrus flavors. A pleasant, lingering hoppiness in the finish entices another sip. ABV – 7% IBUs – 70
- Arcus Southern Pale Ale – A bronze medalist at the 2017 Best Florida Beer competition, Arcus rolls in with an intense citrusy hop aroma. Arcus is brewed with two-row Canadian barley and Mosaic hops. The addition of wildflower honey from Pasco County lends a balancing sweetness for a clean finish. ABV – 6.2% IBUs – 56
Big Storm’s Seasonal offerings will also be available in these areas during their respective months of availability. Seasonal offerings include Oats In Hose Oatmeal Stout, Key Lime Shandy, Oktoberfest Lager, and Dunder and Blixem Spiced Ale.
“With such great support from our local communities in Florida, we’ve had immense growth at Big Storm,” said Big Storm co-owner L.J. Govoni. “We’re excited to share some of Big Storm’s top award-winning beers with consumers in both the Garden and Tar Heel States.”
“Geographic boundaries come second to working with distributor partners who share our vision of the Big Storm brand, commitment to customer service and a love for the product. We feel both Shore Point and Carolina Eagle check all those boxes.” Govoni said.
The offerings listed above will launch in New Jersey and North Carolina during the month of September. You can expect to find these beers available in 4-packs of 16 oz. cans and on draft at select craft beer-focused establishments located throughout New Jersey and North Carolina. Prost!
Big Storm Brewing Co. (Clearwater, Florida) will be celebrating four years of brewing on July 30 by tapping Four Year Storm Imperial Stout at anniversary parties held at both taproom locations (Pasco taproom- 2330 Success Dr., Odessa, Florida. Pinellas taproom – 12707 49th Street N, Clearwater, Florida)
To celebrate four great years in the brewing industry, the folks at Big Storm brewed up a big ol’ Imperial Stout as the perfect offering to raise in celebration of such a milestone. Four Year Storm is an Imperial Stout that “has an unbelievably full but smooth mouthfeel with flavors of espresso beans and molasses with chocolate undertones… [finishing] sweet with a slight booziness” This brew weighs in at 9.1% ABV and 60 IBUs.
In addition to enjoying pours of Four Year Storm Imperial Stout, the first 100 Anniversary Party attendees at each taproom will also receive a special cupcake that has been made with Big Storm beer. Attendees will also enjoy $1 off every beer purchased throughout the day, and 6-packs to take home are buy one, get one free. The party starts at 11 a.m. at both taprooms, so make those plans now to attend if you are free and in the Tampa Bay area on Saturday. Prost!
Big Storm Brewing Company (Clearwater, Florida) recently announced the official release of Category 1-4 of their new Belgian-style Hurricane Season Series.
To pay respect to the Belgian breweries that have inspired so many brewers in America and throughout the world, Big Storm Brewing has created a Belgian-themed series. This series is released during the Atlantic Hurricane Season, and each ale has been “named for the different levels defined by the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale, based on a hurricane’s sustained wind speed.” Just as hurricanes get a higher category ranking as they grow stronger, each beer in the Big Storm Hurricane Series also gets a higher designation as the ABV rises. For the full rundown on these beers, here are their official descriptions from the brewery:
- Category 1, Belgian Single – A silver medalist at the 2016 Best Florida Beer awards, the Belgian Single is the first in the Big Storm “Hurricane Series.” It is pale yellow in color and pours a billowy white head. This award-winning ale is well carbonated with fruity and spicy Belgian yeast character and a floral hop aroma. ABV – 6% IBUs – 15
- Category 2, Belgian Dubbel – The second installment of the Big Storm “Hurricane Series,” the Dubbel features a deep reddish amber to copper in color with rich malty flavor. This best seller presents dark or dried fruit esters reminiscent of raisin, plum and dates. The dense creamy off-white head sits atop a clear and complex sweet malt flavor that generally finishes moderately dry. ABV – 6.6% IBUs – 18
- Category 3, Belgian Tripel – Category 3 has a higher alcohol content and features a yellow to deep golden color, with a creamy white head. Citrusy esters are present with a slight note of banana, as the beer laces the glass. The Tripel has become a fan favorite due to the somewhat spicy, dry, ale with a firm malt flavor and higher hop bitterness. ABV – 9.2% IBUs – 38
- Category 4, Belgian Quadrupel – Characterized by the reddish amber in color, the distinctive nature of this ale is a rich malty presence and the intense dark fruit esters of raisin, plum, and dates. The complex malt flavors and yeast esters leaves the drinker with a warm satisfying experience. ABV – 10.6% IBUs – 25
Big Storm is in the process of brewing Category 5, a “Belgian Quintupel”, and it will be released later in the summer.
Look for Category 1-4 of the Hurricane Series to be available now at select craft beer-friendly establishments within Big Storm Brewing Company’s distribution footprint in Florida. Prost!