Cascade Brewing (Portland, Oregon) has officially announced that it will begin the Limited Can Release of both Pistil Whipped and Sang Rouge on Thursday, September 17.
After successfully introducing their fans to cans of their Northwest Sour Ales in January of this year, Cascade Brewing is continuing to expand this program by packaging the following two offerings in 12 oz. cans for the first time ever (descriptions sourced directly from the brewery’s press release):
- Pistil Whipped – Originally brewed for Cascade Brewing’s Sour Flower Fest, Pistil Whipped is a blend of sour blond ales aged in oak wine barrels with late infusions of saffron and chamomile. Pouring a rich golden-yellow from the saffron’s distinct color, this unique botanical blend captures saffron’s earthy, hay-like spice character with gentle floral and honey notes from the chamomile tea. ABV – 7.7% ABV
- Sang Rouge – Sang Rouge first appeared in Cascade’s portfolio in 2010 and was last blended in 2015. This latest project is a blend of sour red ales aged in select red wine barrels and oak puncheons for up to two years. Highlighting the depth and complexity of our base red ale without the influence of additional fruits or spices, this rare project features notes of roasted red malts, dried currants, aged red wine and toasted oak. ABV – 7.1% ABV
“We’ve seen incredible enthusiasm for our sour beers in cans since launching the program back in January, so we’ve decided to continue expanding our canned offerings with these new releases,” said Kevin Martin, Cascade Brewing Director of Brewery Operations. “Clearly the benefits of the can format resonate with craft drinkers, and we are happy to meet that growing demand. We will continue to offer our bottle-conditioned Northwest Sour Ales in 500ml bottles as the best packaging for long-term aging and quality preservation, while the can packaging is ideal for sours ready to be enjoyed fresh.”
Cans of Pistil Whipped and Sang Rouge will hit Cascade’s two Portland pubs – Cascade Brewing Barrel House and Lodge at Cascade Brewing – on September 17 and limited distribution will follow shortly after the on-site release. You can expect to find these two Limited Release offerings available in 4-packs of 12 oz. cans in select areas located within Cascade Brewing’s distribution footprint. Prost!
Cascade Brewing (Portland, Oregon) came forward today to present a Product Release Calendar that boasts a streamlined lineup of eleven beers scheduled for release in both bottle and draft in 2018.
To keep with our usual approach to beer calendars, we have posted Cascade Brewing’s full 2018 Product Release Calendar below so that you can look it over at your own pace. That said, we probably should go over a few highlights before turning you over directly to the calendar. Let’s get to it:
- The brewery will begin 2018 with the return of Sang Rouge in January. This offering “is a blend of sour red ales aged in select red wine barrels and fresh oak puncheons for up to 24 months.”
- After selling out in record time in 2017, Cascade “has more than doubled the batch size” for the 2018 return of Kentucky Peach. It will hit in March.
- The brewery will tackle summer with the mid-July launch of Peche Fume, Cascade’s second peach offering.
- A new version of Cuvee du Jongleur – “a blend of select reds, triples and quads” – will be released in October. Often referred to as Cascade’s “White Whale”, this offering was last released in 2009.
- Debuting in March as the brewery’s first “Limited Release” of 2018, Melonious Blond “is a blend of sour wheat and blondes aged up to 14 months with fresh Oregon Cantaloupe and Summer Kiss melons.” Melonious Blond is “Cascade’s first melon sour.”
- An unnamed collaboration with Indiana’s Upland Brewing Co. will arrive in April. For this Limited Release, “Cascade will provide locally grown fresh pears from Oregon; while Upland will supply fresh Paw Paw fruit (a cross between a mango and a banana).” More details to come.
“In the coming year, we’re taking a slightly different approach to our annual release schedule,” stated Tim Larrance, vice president of sales and marketing. “We will be offering fewer releases, but making a greater quantity of cases and kegs available to our wholesalers worldwide, meaning more beer for everyone!”
Added lead blender Kevin Martin, “Narrowing our scope on fewer releases throughout the year will enable our production team to focus on the finer aspects of each blend, which we’re confident will result in some of the best beers ever to come out of our cellar.”
That should just about cover everything that we wanted to go over, but there are still a few old favorites and soon-to-be favorites left for you to find on the calendar below. Give it a good look, take some notes, and get ready for another outstanding year of Sour Ales from Cascade Brewing in 2018. Prost!