Cascade Brewing (Portland, Oregon) is expanding upon its Tier One lineup this month with the limited release of Melonious Blond.
Arriving as Cascade Brewing’s “first-ever bottled melon sour”, Melonious Blond is “a blend of blond and wheat ales aged in oak barrels for up to 14 months with cantaloupe and Summer Kiss melons.” This treatment results in a 6.8% ABV Northwest Sour Ale that “offers notes of fresh summer melons, orange blossoms and sour candies, with a touch of honeycomb and green peppercorn.”
Melonious Blond is available now for a limited time in 750ml bottles and on draft. You can look for this Tier One offering at select craft beer establishments located in Alabama, Florida, Oregon and throughout the rest of Cascade Brewing’s distribution network. Prost!
Vital Information for Melonious Blond from Cascade Brewing
Release – Limited/Tier One, March 2018
Style – American Sour Ale
Treatment – Blend of Blond & Wheat Ales aged in oak barrels for up to 14 months with Cantaloupe & Summer Kiss melons
Availability – 750ml bottles & draft
Fun Fact – Concerning Cascade Brewing’s new labels: Melonious Blond “is a Tier One offering; Cascade’s bottles have distinct label styles for each of the three Cascade Brewing pricing tiers, with each label within the tier utilizing distinctive colors to clearly differentiate each beer. The tiers differ by the style of beer used in the product, the type ingredients contained within, the time aged in the barrels and types of barrels used.”
Cascade Brewing (Portland, Oregon) came forward today to present a Product Release Calendar that boasts a streamlined lineup of eleven beers scheduled for release in both bottle and draft in 2018.
To keep with our usual approach to beer calendars, we have posted Cascade Brewing’s full 2018 Product Release Calendar below so that you can look it over at your own pace. That said, we probably should go over a few highlights before turning you over directly to the calendar. Let’s get to it:
- The brewery will begin 2018 with the return of Sang Rouge in January. This offering “is a blend of sour red ales aged in select red wine barrels and fresh oak puncheons for up to 24 months.”
- After selling out in record time in 2017, Cascade “has more than doubled the batch size” for the 2018 return of Kentucky Peach. It will hit in March.
- The brewery will tackle summer with the mid-July launch of Peche Fume, Cascade’s second peach offering.
- A new version of Cuvee du Jongleur – “a blend of select reds, triples and quads” – will be released in October. Often referred to as Cascade’s “White Whale”, this offering was last released in 2009.
- Debuting in March as the brewery’s first “Limited Release” of 2018, Melonious Blond “is a blend of sour wheat and blondes aged up to 14 months with fresh Oregon Cantaloupe and Summer Kiss melons.” Melonious Blond is “Cascade’s first melon sour.”
- An unnamed collaboration with Indiana’s Upland Brewing Co. will arrive in April. For this Limited Release, “Cascade will provide locally grown fresh pears from Oregon; while Upland will supply fresh Paw Paw fruit (a cross between a mango and a banana).” More details to come.
“In the coming year, we’re taking a slightly different approach to our annual release schedule,” stated Tim Larrance, vice president of sales and marketing. “We will be offering fewer releases, but making a greater quantity of cases and kegs available to our wholesalers worldwide, meaning more beer for everyone!”
Added lead blender Kevin Martin, “Narrowing our scope on fewer releases throughout the year will enable our production team to focus on the finer aspects of each blend, which we’re confident will result in some of the best beers ever to come out of our cellar.”
That should just about cover everything that we wanted to go over, but there are still a few old favorites and soon-to-be favorites left for you to find on the calendar below. Give it a good look, take some notes, and get ready for another outstanding year of Sour Ales from Cascade Brewing in 2018. Prost!