On Sunday, October 7 from noon to 11 p.m., both locations of 7venth Sun Brewery (Tampa & Dunedin, Florida) will host Break the Silence, a 7venth Sunraiser Event meant to raise funds and increase awareness about domestic violence.
If you are local to the Tampa area, a fan of craft beer and pay attention to the news, it is safe to assume that you have already heard about how domestic violence has affected 7venth Sun Brewery. When you consider how difficult and sensitive this subject is, it would have been really easy for the crew at 7venth Sun to put their heads down, stay quiet and work their way through to the other side . . . but the heart of 7venth Sun has decided to take a much different approach.
The remaining members of the 7venth Sun team have decided to show their strength, raise their voices, and speak out against domestic violence by hosting Break the Silence, a 7venth Sunraiser Event. Taking place simultaneously at both 7venth Sun locations on October 7, this event will raise funds/donations and increase awareness about domestic violence through a donation drive, silent auction, fundraising efforts, and the sale of limited/rare beers that have been donated by breweries from around the area. Most importantly, the hope is that the collective show of strength displayed at this event will help other victims of domestic violence realize that they too have a voice and can get the help they need to get out of a dangerous situation.
There is quite a bit to go over when it comes to this event, so we are just going to break the whole thing down to ensure that we cover all the details. Let’s get to it.
What – Break the Silence, a 7venth Sunraiser Event
When – Sunday, October 7 from Noon to 11 p.m.
Where – 7venth Sun Brewery – Tampa |6809 N Nebraska Ave | Tampa, Florida AND 7venth Sun Brewery – Dunedin | 1012 E Broadway Ave | Dunedin, Florida
“Domestic Violence is something that many women live with in silence. Often because they are too afraid or embarrassed to reach out to friends or family members, or ties have been cut to their support systems.
Domestic Violence can be happening to the strongest person you know, sitting right next to you, and you are completely unaware. It doesn’t always take the form of obvious physical bruises and often the victim is terrified and trying to hide it.
Domestic Violence is an epidemic and it’s hardly discussed in US society. Three women are murdered a day in the US and 38,028,000 have experienced physical intimate partner violence in their lifetimes.
Domestic Violence has directly impacted 7venth Sun and it is for this reason we are hosting a fundraiser called Break the Silence.
This event will raise money, collect supplies and promote education and awareness about Domestic Violence. If we can even help just one person escape the cycle of abuse, then we consider this a success, but we hope to free many more than that.
Fundraising proceeds will be given to The Spring of Tampa Bay and CASA St. Pete. They provide shelter, resources, counseling and support for victims who have nowhere to turn, are in search of a safe-haven, or are trying to process the mental, physical and emotional trauma they have sustained.
Break the Cycle. Break the Chains. Break the Silence.”
100% of funds raised from the beers on the following tap list will be donated to the selected domestic violence organizations:
- Cigar City Brewing (Tampa, Florida) – Maple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Hunahpu’s: Maple Bourbon BA Imperial Stout (15% ABV)
- Angry Chair Brewing (Tampa, Florida) – Unrepentant Transgression: Imperial Milk Stout aged in Bourbon barrels with cinnamon, toasted walnuts, cacao and vanilla bean (11.5% ABV)
- Garagiste Meadery (Tampa, Florida) – She Showed Me a Beach, Gave Me a Peach: Locally produced honey, California peaches, apricots from Spain and fermented on bourbon staves (14% ABV)
- Arkane Aleworks (Largo, Florida) – Chocolate Starscream: Blackberry, raspberry dark sour with cocoa nibs (6.2% ABV)
- Calusa Brewing (Sarasota, Florida) – Battle Canoe Hazy IIPA: Double Dry-Hopped with Denali, Simcoe and Citra (8.3% ABV)
- Green Bench Brewing Co. (St. Petersburg, Florida) – Alice: Barrel Aged Golden Sour (6% ABV)
- Green Bench Brewing Co. (St. Petersburg, Florida) – Turbid 12: NE IPA Triple Dry Hopped with Hallertau Blanc, Huell Melon, and Grungeist (6.5% ABV)
- B. Nektar Meadery (Ferndale, Michigan) – Funky Monky: Belgian inspired imperial melomel with Balaton Cherry Juice and Styrian Goldings hops (12% ABV)
- Coppertail Brewing Co. (Tampa, Florida) – Raspberry Lychee Foeder Beer
- Escape Brewing Company (Trinity, Florida) – Overnight Sensation: Brett Barrel Aged Saison w/ Raspberries (7% ABV)
- Hidden Springs Ale Works (Tampa, Florida) – Pretty In Pink: Raspberry Lemon Gose (5% ABV)
- 7venth Sun Brewery (Tampa & Dunedin, Florida) – Vultures From the Past: Barrel Aged Barley Wine (12% ABV)
- 7venth Sun Brewery (Tampa & Dunedin, Florida) – Drinks with Chocolate: Chocolate Coconut Imperial Sweet Stout (10% ABV)
- 7venth Sun Brewery (Tampa & Dunedin, Florida) – Berry White: Raspberry, Blueberry, Blackberry Berliner with Lactose (5% ABV)
- Overflow Brewing Company (St. Petersburg, Florida) – TBA
- Late Start Brewing (Tampa, Florida) – TBA
In addition to the beers listed above, Special Hoperations will be at the Tampa location pouring some awesome homebrewed beer for donation. The Dunedin Brewers Guild and the New World Celts will be doing the same at the brewery’s Dunedin location.
If you would like to make a direct financial donation to the cause, you can click here to do so. All proceeds will be donated to The Spring of Tampa Bay and CASA St. Pete. There will be collection areas for cash donations at both 7venth Sun locations during the event, but the brewery does ask that you use the fundraising link for any/all credit card donations.
The Break the Silence event will also act as a donation drive to supply The Spring of Tampa Bay and CASA St. Pete with personal care items, kitchen essentials, and all the other necessities that they so desperately need to function. You can view a list of the most needed items by clicking here. Donated items can be dropped off at either 7venth Sun location during the event or on the days leading up to the event.
Both 7venth Sun locations will hold a silent auction (or possibly a raffle) during the event as another means of raising funds for The Spring of Tampa Bay and CASA St. Pete. These auctions will include items such as rare/”super fancy” beers, gift cards from local businesses, artwork, etc. If you would like to donate an item for the silent auction/raffle, you can email Devon Kreps at firstname.lastname@example.org to set that up.
- LOKO Cuisine will be at the Tampa location of 7venth Sun to dish out some grub from its new pop-up concept, LOKO-Q Florida-Style Barbecue. Those wishing to experience these tasty eats will need to buy a food ticket in advance from LOKO Cuisine. If you would like to see the menu and/or secure food tickets, you can do so by clicking here. A portion of the proceeds raised from food ticket sales will be donated to the cause.
- The Dunedin location of 7venth Sun will have a spread of awesome smoked foods available as a dining option. 100% of proceeds raised will go to donation. Menu to be announced soon.
- Shuffle will set up a pop-up shuffle court at 7venth Sun’s Tampa location. There will be a suggested minimum donation of $5 to play – 100% of proceeds to be donated.
- Arielle Stevenson will be spinnin’ some records at the brewery’s Tampa location.
That should just about cover all the information currently available concerning 7venth Sun’s Break the Silence event. If more info surfaces between now and the event, we will be sure to update you here with those details.
This is an event that we should all attend because this is a subject that we should all talk about. If you are in the Tampa area and free on October 7, just go ahead and block that date out on your calendar, extend an invite to your friends, pick up a few items for the donation drive, and join us at one of the 7venth Sun Brewery locations so that we can all band together to “Break the Cycle. Break the Chains. Break the Silence.” We hope to see you all then. Prost!